BritishAmerican Business is the leading transatlantic business organization, dedicated to helping its members build their international business. BritishAmerican Business stands at the heart of the business relationship between the US and the UK and Continental Europe, with a membership of more than 500 companies and 5,000 executives in New York and London, and business networks covering 60 other European and American cities.
The Director of Membership reports to and works closely with the Executive Director to oversee all membership recruitment, engagement and retention efforts for 300+ large and small companies across various industries, with a specific focus on growing the cohort of large, global companies. This position manages all projects and activities designed to enhance member relations and increase and retain membership. This position represents BAB in its relationships with external constituencies and supports key fundraising functions of the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops and implements membership outreach strategy plans for retention of current members and expansion plans for growth of membership, in alignment with BAB goals and objectives.
- Manages, tracks and evaluates all membership acquisition and renewal activities.
- Cultivates prospective multinational companies and large corporates with a specific focus on growing this subset of membership.
- Oversees account management of all member companies assigned to membership team to ensure high levels of satisfaction, engagement, increased support; and serves as account manager for designated member companies & is responsible for all aspects of member relations & cultivation w/in portfolio including selling sponsorships for events.
- Sells existing membership services (fee and no fee).
- Develops new streams of revenue among membership.
- Attends and networks with executives at 80+ BAB forums, breakfast meetings, evening events, and similar external functions or events for prospecting purposes.
- Hosts prospective member functions as needed.
- Manages and motivates team.
- Manages the membership budget.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position requires excellent attention to detail, strong organizational skills, the ability to work efficiently as part of a team in a fast-paced environment, interact professionally with members and colleagues, and demonstrate a commitment to outstanding customer service. This position is super-fast paced, and the successful candidate will be able to perform consistently at a fast pace. To perform the job successfully, an individual must demonstrate the following competencies:
- Leadership—the individual inspires and motivates others to perform well individually and as a team and accepts feedback from others.
- Management Skills—the individual includes staff in planning and decision-making; facilitates process improvement; makes self available to staff; provides regular performance feedback; and develops subordinates’ skills and encourages professional growth.
- Communication—the individual must have excellent writing and verbal skills and speak clearly and persuasively in all situations, including networking at events, and demonstrate group presentation skills and conduct productive meetings.
- Membership development – able to successfully pitch new and existing members about the value proposition offered by BAB.
- Judgment—the individual displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits sound and accurate judgment, and makes timely decisions
- Time management – the individual must be able to handle multiple tasks in super-fast paced environment.
- Delegation—the individual is able to delegate work assignments, gives appropriate authority to work independently, sets expectations and monitors delegated activities.
- Quality management—the individual looks for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Flexibility – the individual must be open minded and comfortable in situations that demand rapid change and quick thinking.
- Positivity – a “glass half full” attitude is essential.
- Planning/organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans to achieve business goals.
- Technology – the individual is adept at working with new technology and displays an appropriate online presence.
- Understanding of the UK/US business culture and communications and New York business environment helpful.
- Experienced user of CRM database software.
Educational and Experience Requirements
- 10+ years of experience required in membership management, business development, client relations, marketing, or other professional customer-facing role
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Personnel management experience (small teams)
- Experience working closely with senior executives/stakeholders
- Experience selling sponsorships a plus
NOTE: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the employee and are subject to the revision and amendments of the business needs and at the discretion of BritishAmerican Business. BritishAmerican Business is an equal opportunity employer.
Please email all Covering Letter & CV’s to email@example.com