Job Opportunity (New York) – Associate Director, Member Relations
For a PDF copy of this job description, please click here.
Reports to: Executive Director, New York
Direct Reports: TBD
FLSA Status: Exempt
Submit CV, Cover Letter and Writing Sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Submission Deadline: 20 September 2020
About BAB: BritishAmerican Business is the leading transatlantic trade association created as a result of the merger between the British-American Chamber of Commerce in the US and the American Chamber of Commerce in the UK. We are committed to strengthening the economic corridor between the United States and the United Kingdom by supporting policies and actions that protect and enhance the environment for transatlantic trade and investment on behalf of our members.
We convene and serve a growing network of companies and business leaders through networking opportunities, bespoke programming and marketing platforms.
We actively promote trade and investment and support those who make the transatlantic corridor part of their business growth ambition.
About Our Office: The New York office of BAB is a fun, open and exciting place to work! There are about a dozen staff members working out of this office centrally located adjacent to Grand Central Terminal. We are a collaborative team, open to new and innovative ideas.
Position Summary: The Associate Director, will be responsible for managing all projects and activities designed to enhance member relations and increase and retain membership. The AD will be responsible for membership recruitment, engagement and retention efforts for a portfolio of companies both large and small across various industries, with a specific focus on stewarding the large, multinational segment of the membership, as well as government affairs contacts at member companies.
The AD will also be responsible for keeping abreast of developments at current member companies, trending macro US-UK business issues relevant to BAB members, and political developments and current affairs, which can be parlayed into content and programming. This position represents BAB in its relationships with external constituencies and supports key fundraising functions of the organization. The right candidate for the job will contribute to the long-term success of the organization by contributing strategic thinking and relevant business intelligence.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develops and implements membership outreach strategy plans for retention of current members and expansion plans for growth of membership, in alignment with BAB goals and objectives.
• Manages, tracks and evaluates all membership acquisition and renewal activities.
• Cultivates prospective multinational companies and large corporates with a specific focus on growing this subset of membership.
• Oversees account management of all member companies assigned to membership team to ensure high levels of satisfaction, engagement, increased support; and serves as account manager for designated member companies & is responsible for all aspects of member relations & cultivation within portfolio including selling sponsorships for events.
• Promotes and sells membership services, as well as sponsorship and partnership opportunities (fee and no fee).
• Creates and manages partnership and sponsorship engagement plans from within member portfolio.
• Develops new streams of revenue among membership.
• Liaises with the Events teams to support development of BAB events & programming and ensure offerings serve relevant member interests.
• Research prospects and current members and assembles preparation materials for the Executive Director and CEO.
• Hosts prospective member functions as needed.
• Manages and motivates team.
• Manages the membership budget.
• Attends and networks with executives at 80+ BAB forums, breakfast meetings, evening events, and similar external functions or events for prospecting purposes.
• Other duties as assigned.
Competencies: This position requires excellent attention to detail, strong organizational skills, the ability to work efficiently as part of a team in a fast-paced environment, interact professionally with members and colleagues, and demonstrate a commitment to outstanding customer service. This position is super-fast paced, and the successful candidate will be able to perform consistently at a fast pace. To perform the job successfully, an individual must demonstrate the following competencies:
• Communication—the individual must have excellent writing and verbal skills and speak clearly and persuasively in all situations, including networking at events, and demonstrate group presentation skills and conduct productive meetings.
• Membership development – able to successfully pitch new and existing members about the value proposition offered by BAB.
• Judgment—the individual displays willingness to make decisions, exhibits sound and accurate judgment, and makes timely decisions.
• Time management – the individual must be able to handle multiple tasks in super-fast paced environment.
• Quality management—the individual looks for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
• Flexibility – the individual must be open minded and comfortable in situations that demand rapid change and quick thinking.
• Positivity – a “glass half full” attitude is essential.
• Planning/organizing—the individual prioritizes and plans work activities, uses time efficiently and develops realistic action plans to achieve business goals.
• Technology – the individual is adept at working with new technology and displays an appropriate online presence.
• Understanding of the UK/US business culture and communications and New York business environment helpful.
• Experienced user of CRM database software.
Educational and Experience Requirements:
• 10+ years experience required in membership/client relations, non-profit fundraising, business development, marketing and/or sales in a professional, customer facing role.
• Bachelor’s Degree required.
• Experience working closely with senior executives/stakeholders.
NOTE: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the employee and are subject to the revision and amendments of the business needs and at the discretion of BritishAmerican Business. BritishAmerican Business is an equal opportunity employer.