Job Opportunity (London) – Policy Manager
For a PDF copy of this job description, please click here
Salary Range: £30,000 – £35,000 per annum
Working Structure: Hybrid office/home working
To Apply: Submit your resume, cover letter and a professional work sample, such as policy paper/brief or statement brief on a policy-related project you managed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Submission Deadline: 22 December 2021
To Note: Interview timeslots will be scheduled on a rolling basis with no interviews over the holiday office closure from 24 December 2021 to 4 January 2022.
About BritishAmerican Business
BritishAmerican Business is the leading transatlantic trade association incorporating the British-American Chamber of Commerce in the US and the American Chamber of Commerce in the UK. We are committed to strengthening the economic corridor between the United States and the United Kingdom by supporting policies and actions that protect and enhance the environment for transatlantic trade and investment on behalf of our members. We convene and serve a growing network of companies and business leaders through networking opportunities, bespoke programming and marketing platforms. We actively promote trade and investment and support those who make the transatlantic corridor part of their business growth ambition.
Based in London UK, the Policy Manager is the core resource at BAB London for BAB’s policy portfolio. This includes, the direct account management of policy member company accounts, involvement in activities aimed at members of the policy group, the administration lead on the policy group and the BAB Policy Steering Committee, as well as supporting the production of regular, ‘above-market’ policy content. The Policy Manager works closely with BAB leadership including the CEO, Executive Director London and other members of the New York and London teams with the overall ambition and task to strengthen and grow the portfolio further and attract new member companies on the strength of the policy work. Policy is at the heart of our work and our reputation depends on being accurate, visible and relevant to UK and USA businesses and governments.
The role includes a variety of responsibilities, ranging from research, writing, project management, liaison with companies and stakeholders, as well as strategic planning and oversight of designated projects. The Policy Manager is an integral part of the BAB team and he/she works closely with all members of the team in London and relevant counterparts in the BAB New York office. There is great potential for progression within this role for a driven and enterprising post holder.
Account Management and Recruitment
- Manage and proactively engage all policy accounts within the network to ensure high retention and engagement rate as well as incorporating member feedback into policy activities/work.
- Proactively engage relevant non-member companies active in the policy portfolio to build a pipeline of credible prospects.
- Deliver the production of regular commentaries, briefings, position papers, and statements, reflecting core priorities of BAB’s policy portfolio (‘Policy Agenda’), but also ever evolving policy matters of interest to the BAB membership.
- Deliver on the content production for relevant annual and campaign-linked BAB policy publications. Support on the fundraising for the policy portfolio (Policy Agenda or equivalent projects).
- Lead on the administrative support function for BAB’s Policy Steering Committee. Ensure regularity, visibility and engagement, and lead on its expansion according to its criteria.
- Lead on the administration of BAB’s Policy Group, ensure all relevant contacts are up to date and organised according to relevance and interest.
- Support on the creation of events and programmes that support the production of content and/or lead to the production of content.
- Lead on expanding BAB’s network of relevant contacts from external stakeholders, particularly in government, think tanks, trade associations and corporate public & government affairs.
- Contribute to any policy-related press interviews and releases, external communication and press work, as required.
Research & Counsel
- Act as a ‘to go to’ resource within the team for any relevant policy matter affecting companies in the transatlantic corridor.
- Provide counsel and support to the Chief Policy & Trade Officer and the CEO on current developments on policy matters relevant to BAB.
The above list of job duties is not exclusive or exhaustive and the post holder will be required to undertake such tasks as may reasonably be expected within the scope and grading of the post.
|Skills and Experience||A university degree or equivalent experience||X|
|An advanced degree in a relevant field||X|
|High-level of verbal and written communication skills (in business English)||X|
|Excellent analytical skills, combined with critical and creative thinking||X|
|Commercial Awareness and ability to articulate persuasively the benefits of membership and engagement with BAB activities||X|
|Proven ability to read, understand, and most importantly, to write detailed policy submissions on various topics, including unfamiliar issues.||X|
|Proven track record of working in a policy role in a company or organisation||X|
|Ideally, an existing network of key stakeholders in UK/US governments, businesses and academia||X|
|Ability to speak and engage with senior representatives in business and UK and US Governments||X|
|Ability to quickly understand the mission, business model, and way of communication in the organisation||X|
|Comfortable with speaking publicly and able to talk with confidence backed by substance.||X|
|Personal Attributes||Dynamic and enthusiastic||X|
|A personal drive for growth||X|
|Passion for change and improvement||X|
|A team player who values collaboration and team spirit||X|
|Positive, proactive and solution-oriented||X|
|Low ego, with emotional maturity and patience||X|
|Drive to set and be an example for others||X|
|Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines||X|
|Openness to be active and visible on social media||X|
|Openness to engage in fundraising and business development||X|
As an equal opportunities employer, BAB is committed to the equal treatment of all current and prospective employees and does not condone discrimination on the basis of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, gender identity, or marriage and civil partnership.
We aspire to have a diverse and inclusive workplace and strongly encourage suitably qualified applicants from a wide range of backgrounds to apply and join BAB.
Applicants will be asked to provide evidence of their right to work in the U.K. at interview stage.